I’ve been healthy most of my life and mold was the last thing I thought would ever ruin my health. I was always on the slender side and enjoyed light exercise as well as vegetables more than meat. I never considered myself an unhealthy person. So I didn’t understand why at the age of 24 I was starting to feel my body giving out on me. I had been working a desk job for a couple of years and I had my son at 20 years old. So I attributed it to lack of exercise and stress from parenthood. However, even when I exercised it only seemed to make my muscles cramp even more and I would be out for a week.
Eventually, I stopped exercising because it wasn’t making my body feel better. Dealing with relationship issues, depression, and anxiety made me feel crazy. I started hearing voices talking to each other in my head and I was starting to worry that I had developed Schizophrenia. My anxiety was through the roof and I couldn’t concentrate very well. I thought about death quite often, but it wasn’t so much about me being suicidal but just that there was this thought of death happening too soon. It was like my body was telling me that I’m slowly dying.
Discovering Mold was destroying my health:
Then I found out about mold poisoning and it was the most enlightening thing in my life. I truly understand the negative effects that it has caused on my life. It wasn’t an instant problem that happened overnight. Mold poisoning was so gradual that it was hard to distinguish between common illnesses and mold slowly building inside my body. It began shutting down my internal organs a little at a time. At first, it was the aching wrist pain and back pain that I brushed off as nerve issues from my pregnancy. Then it turned into having a tingle in my face and extremities. Then I started waking up with panic attacks in the middle of the night. So many more symptoms showed up that just didn’t make any sense to me.
Due to this problem getting so bad, I’ve moved 4 times. All my belongings were contaminated inside the house that I had just moved to a couple of months prior and my own clothes were toxic to me.
So I realized that mold toxins had slowly been building inside my body where I lived and worked for years. This was all prior to my feeling the symptoms. Normally, when you think of mold you think of the white fuzzy stuff that grows on food when it’s been out for too long. I didn’t think mold was anything to be afraid of. Boy, was I wrong! I called a mold inspector and had them take air samples. It turns out we had extremely high levels of mold that caused me to have mold poisoning! I was so afraid that I would get worse that I left to stay with my mom so my body could heal itself.
After that, I started feeling much better at my moms until I found out her kitchen island was rotting away. I started having a reaction at her house as well and I tried so hard to help her by putting a temporary bandaid over the issue until she could afford to fix it. I felt like I could never escape it. There is now a lingering fear of mold because it has traumatized me, but I learned how to detox and find a safe space that I can be away from it. Clean it and make sure it gets fixed. Are you suspecting that you may be suffering from mold toxicity? Make sure you get it tested as soon as possible.
Diagnosis Doctors Gave me:
- Muscle spasms
- Auto-immune disease
- Depression, Anxiety
Symptoms (I’ve experienced):
- Hair loss
- Sensitivity to light
- Unexplained weight gain/loss
- Heart palpitations
- Panic Attacks
- Memory loss (short term memory and vocabulary)
- Muscle aches, knots, cramps after exercising
- Food intolerance (bloating and gas after eating foods that didn’t give you problems before)
- Back pain in the morning (cracking in my spine)
- Inflammation in the spine causing discs to move out of place (causing scoliosis in the neck)
- Tingling in the face, hands, legs (I described it as losing feeling or numbness)
- Motion sickness or worsening motion sickness
- Asthma attacks
- Sore throat
- Mucus in my throat
- Confusion, brain fog, anxiety, depression
- Dandruff (I tried so many types of dandruff shampoo, and I even tried going without shampooing)
- Dry skin
- Pimples (I’m not normally someone with acne problems)
- Fatigue in my back (I could only stand for 10 to 15 minutes maximum).
- I would fall asleep in the middle of the day from exhaustion
- Mood swings, easily irritated
- Blurred vision
- Shaky hands
- Delayed period or missed period completely (I checked with a pregnancy test, I was not pregnant)
- For more information click here [https://www.jillcarnahan.com/2015/02/08/toxic-mold-exposure-cause-symptoms/]
Articles about Mold: